Lamb and Barley Braise
Ready in 30 minutes | Serves 6
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ Swede/turnip, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 250g (9oz) pearl barley
- 1½ litres chicken stock
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 150C. Season the lamb shanks with salt and black pepper.
Heat a large ovenproof casserole until hot, add the oil and lamb shanks and cook on each side until golden brown.
Remove from the pan then add the onions, carrot, swede and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the rosemary, bay, thyme and tomato puree and cook for a further minute. Add the pearl barley and stock to the pan then add the lamb shanks and bring to a simmer.
Cover tightly then transfer to the oven and cook minimum 2 hours / maximum 6 hours.
Remove from the oven top with fresh parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with crusty bread or roast or pureed potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of Wiffens.