Persian Love Cake
Preparation 15 minutes, plus time cooking | Serves 8 | Complexity: Very Easy
- 360 gm (3 cups) almond meal
- 220 gm (1 cup) raw sugar
- 220 gm (1 cup) brown sugar
- 120 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 gm Greek-style yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 45 gm (¼ cup) pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Fresh berries to serve
Preheat oven to 180C. Combine almond meal, sugars, butter and 1 tsp salt in a bowl, then rub with fingertips until coarse crumbs form.
Spoon half the mixture into a lightly buttered and baking paper-lined 26cm-diameter springform pan, gently pressing to evenly cover base.
Add egg, yoghurt and nutmeg to remaining crumble mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
Pour over prepared base, smooth top, scatter pistachios around edge and bake until golden (30-35 minutes).
Cool completely in pan on a wire rack to room temperature, then serve with extra yoghurt and fresh berries. The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.